The Sporting Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do I need for a double?

4 posters

Go down

What do I need for a double? Empty Re: What do I need for a double?

Post by Broz Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 am

Well, jb i have never thought you come off as any kind of snob. I just know you are very educated on fine firearms and I guess I was taking my browning for granted. Guess I have owned it long enough that it has some good features.

As for the boats and depreciating assets. I won't even hint about the proffit on the last 3 boats. Lets just say I have yet to loose a dime and my little buying spree lately was not even close to touching my initial investment. Now that doesn't mean that if I would have put this money in realestate it would not of made more. But you can't go 160 plus in a house either. Very Happy

I will have some pics tonight hopefully, 22-250 and a .224 both 5 panel lazer varmitmasters are to be here today. Now if they would just find my 460 Sad
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:44 am

Jeff,

Think of a nice side-by-side as a reinvestment of your boat money, which is a depreciating asset, into a non-depreciating asset. You're hedging your losses in a financially unstable martplace. (I figured if I put it into real estate terms you'd buy into it Very Happy).

As far as guns go, you'd be surprised at how varied my likes are regarding different types of guns. Maybe I come across as being one of those elitist double gun snobs but thast's not the case at all. The only thing that I am very selective about is quality of workmanship and I even forego that to a small degree if whatever I'm buying has a strong nostalgic connection with me. Your Citori is a very nice gun and you won't find wood like that anymore...not that I've seen lately.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:29 pm

Thanks JB, glad you like the Browning, I am kinda surprised, guess I didn't think it was of the quality of double that you like. If any of you see a smoking deal on a SXS out there let me know. Something like KC got, under the money. I am in no hurry and would rather wait for the funds to replenish. The two varmit masters have me a little weak right now.. Laughing
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:45 pm

I've had a couple models 101's, a model 23 Light Duck, and a Diamond Grade Trap. Browning and Winchester have made some pretty good doubles in their time.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:13 pm

I also had a 28 bore grade 3 Quail unlimited number 84 of 100 made, straight stock, 22" tubes a real sweetie. Then I had a pair of Diamond grade 101 winchesters, consecutive sn's in 20 ga and 410. They all left when we moved... Sad
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:35 pm

Beautiful gun there, Jeff!! Wow! Keep it Very Happy It looks like a Grade 6 field gun and not a Skeet model. The field guns are more valuable. I'm envious of that one....really nice. I didn't know you had a double like that?
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:25 pm

Finally got the pics of the old browning up. She just may have to do for a while, till we find the sxs that knocks my socks off. I have 2 more bees coming in tomorrow. I need to take a little brake, crap I am not even going to try to keep up with KC.. Very Happy
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 am

What do I need for a double? Img_0523What do I need for a double? Img_0522What do I need for a double? Img_0521
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:39 am

Thanks Jb, I will check the Beretta out! I have had the Citori for a long time. I think it is a field brcause it has invectors. I will post a few pics with poor realution. ( before new camera) Very Happy I used this to shoot skeet with a pair of the old Savage 410er tubes in her. With those 14: tubes and the AA 2 1/2" .410's it was a real clay busting rig..
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:10 am

Broz wrote:I have a nice 20 grade 6 citori. But never use it since I don't shoot skeet anymore. I like both OU and SXS guns. But I have done way more shooting with a OU. I may sell the Citori to fund this , but would like to stay around $2500. What would you guys look at?

Jeff

Hey there Broz!! Is your grade 6 Citori a skeet grade or is it a field gun that you used for skeet? A Citori is a very nice gun and a very nice one for the price. I've owned 2 Citoris, both in 20 gauge, along with a Winchester model 101 also in 20, which was similar to the Citori in looks and feel. I should start a discussion on advantages/disadvantages of side-by-sides vs. over/unders...it gets very interesting!

Are you interested in a new gun or used? Most rifleman and those who shoot Trap & Skeet prefer an Over/Under and it sounds like that is what you're most comfortable with. If you like the thought of a narrow sighting plane, even though you're not supposed to see the sighting plane at all when taking a shot, then stick with the O/U. Also, consider buying a new one. Secondhand Over/Unders tend to get abused more than the SxS's. The used double market is an intimidating place.

For me, if I had a budget of $2,500.00 to spend on a new O/U, I would without a doubt go with a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon II. The Berettas are the best value in the market for O/Us. You can spend $1,500.00 to well North of $10,000.00 on a Beretta O/U and find that they are all essentially built on the same action and locking system which is NOT the case with about any other double you can mention. What you get is an almost perfect action design that's been around since before any of us were even a thought.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:14 pm

Forgot to say but if the Citori is nice with luggage it will bring pretty close to your target of 2500.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:11 pm

I have both superposed ( O&U ) and doubles ( SxS ) but prefer the doubles hands done. The D'Italia is a very nice Italian made double. Your Citori is certainly a well made gun as well but for what ever the reasoning I have never been a Browning fan. Too main stream I think. For 2500.00 you can get started with ease.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingCobraTX Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Hey Jeff,

I'm sure Jerry and Ed will be able to guide you in the right direction Cool I am by know means an expert when it comes to doubles...But I'm sure happy with the Weatherby Athena D'Italia SxS...It's a finely crafted gun and you can easily find it for what you're wanting to pay....
KingCobraTX
KingCobraTX
Admin

https://sportinglife.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What do I need for a double? Empty What do I need for a double?

Post by Broz Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:52 pm

I have a nice 20 grade 6 citori. But never use it since I don't shoot skeet anymore. I like both OU and SXS guns. But I have done way more shooting with a OU. I may sell the Citori to fund this , but would like to stay around $2500. What would you guys look at?

Jeff
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down