The Sporting Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally a Fine Double

3 posters

Go down

Finally a Fine Double Empty The madness continues..........

Post by BigHorn WBY Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:35 pm

The Madness continues to consume me. I am gun fund broke already and more piles in. Thank the lord for credit cards. These 2 beautiful ladies are killing me. As posted earlier Isabella has talked me in to a "home" of her own. Well being of a jealous sort Bri' ghette cornered me and decide it was her just do as well to have a top of the line "flat" as well.

Please help me.

Finally a Fine Double Bri_gh11Finally a Fine Double Bri_gh10
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Finally a Fine Double Empty Re: Finally a Fine Double

Post by JB Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 am

Ed, the trigger order sounds fine to me? I'll double check mine when I get home. When someone scores a "double" on rising birds it's sometimes referred to as a "right & left" indicating the right trigger, and the more open choke, is fired before the rear trigger, or the tighter choke. Which is your open barrel? Whicever one it is, that should be governed by your front trigger. This can all change due to the bespoke requirements of the customer.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:01 pm

Finally a Fine Double Verney13Finally a Fine Double Verney12I I will work on "mounting"...........sounds.....well, never mind. I will use a temp spacer when I get the chance. I noticed while shooting that the rear trigger is on the left side with the fore trigger on the right. Was this originally built as a lefty ???? Here is another action shot. I am indeed a good study of action and dashingly handsome.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingCobraTX Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:54 am

JB wrote:Don't forget the chronograph this time!!! Hopefully you can do a better job than I did in trying to hit that big opening between the posts! I still don't get it....I aimed the bead right between the sticks ???????

you just have to have mad KV skills affraid
KingCobraTX
KingCobraTX
Admin

https://sportinglife.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:50 am

Don't forget the chronograph this time!!! Hopefully you can do a better job than I did in trying to hit that big opening between the posts! I still don't get it....I aimed the bead right between the sticks ???????
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingCobraTX Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:32 am

Nice write up Ed...and great advice JB! I guess I need to get mine out and do some testing as well.
KingCobraTX
KingCobraTX
Admin

https://sportinglife.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:35 am

Yes, proper length of pull will eliminate that little problem. In the meantime, hold your right hand a little farther back on the grip so you extend your trigger finger a bit more. It may be a little bit of technique mixed with a little bit of stock fit. I always wear thin, unlined leather shooting gloves so, if my Merkel ever touched my trigger finger, I've yet to notice it.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:35 pm

Thanks will do. I have a line on some 7 1/2 Westley Richards. I would like them to be light recoiling and spread that shot nice and wide.

Forgot to say, I know now the real world reasons for a articlulating front trigger. This snippy little tart bites. The 32gr load "stings" my trigger finger everytime. After 30 or 40 of them I bet a flinch is pretty sure thing.

As for "mounting" I am thinking of adding a 1/2" spacer to see if that helps the feel of it. It is getting a leather covered pad but I obviously want the deminsions right before spending the money.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Very thorough testing there, Ed! It looks like you found a couple of good loads right off the bat. Next, try to find some 7 1/2s for quail, huns, chukars, etc.... Now that you know you can hit paper and that there are no holes in the pattern, shooting game or targets on the wing will be the next step. Keep practicing your gun mounting technique at home. Oh, when I say "gun mounting", I mean throwing it up to your shoulder....not what you probably thought of doing with that French Lady of yours!!! Very Happy
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Finally a Fine Double Empty Patterned the Verney today

Post by BigHorn WBY Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:26 pm

It was a bit better weather but not by much. Any way I was testing 2 loads from Gamebore. Load 1 is there 28gr load of 5's with a felt wad. Load 2 is their 32gr of 6's and a poly shot cup. With a muzzle measurement of .685 left and .714 right it is obviously plenty "tight" choked. I couldn't find my pattern paper so instead of getting flustered I grabbed some of the daughters baking paper and taped them together. Worked fine. All testing done at measured 35yds at 35degrees at 4876 feet elevation 50% humidity.

Load 1;
Gamebore Super Game
28gr 5 felt wad
Left barrel
Pellets spread to a total of 35inches with the center 30 nice and dense. No holes in patterns at all very nice.
Right barrel
Pellets spread to a total of 39inches with very nice even disburtion

Load 2;
Gamebore Super Game
32gr 6 poly wad
Left barrel
Pellet spread a tight dense 25 inches. 1 stray pellet stretched out to 33". Very tight. Will be nice for longer range (40-45yds) wild flyer Pheasants and Sages.

Right barrel
Pellet spread a very nice dense 33inches. Envision these 6's will work well later in the season and with wilder rangier birds.

Out ward observations are that the 28gr load is about the top for a friendly recoil load. The 32gr load is heavy and more than I want to subject the gun to for any length of time.
Also these shells are marked as2 1/2"/67mm. I assume that is still fine in my 65mm marked chambers
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Finally a Fine Double Empty Finally a Fine Double

Post by BigHorn WBY Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:27 pm

This is a Verney-Carron box lock non-ejector with Side plates. Double triggers, Wales grip, Side clips, Double underlug w/ hidden bit in lower face, Demiblock barrels, A&D fore stock release.
In correspondence with the manufactor they stated that it was produced between the wars. They stated that they didn't produce a sidelock after the Great War as the "lost there talent for producing them". I don't know quite what they ment with that as there was a big language barrier, but took it to be that they either lost the craftsman to the war or lost the factory. They stated that the gun was styled to the British market and that they had not heard of one ever in the States. I think they where thinking I was selling it and stated that they trade on the Continent and on the Isle for around 3000pd/3850eur.

Specs are;
12 ga. 65mm chambers
28"/72cm barrels w/ .685 and .714 restriction
11/2 DAC 23/8 DAH to a 14 1/2" LOP. Has a Kick-Eze pad added, slated to be Leather covered
Finally a Fine Double Verney11

She has been dubbed "Bridget" pronounced with a alongated "i" and discounting the "d"....."Brie' jhette"
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down