The Sporting Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looks like I am going to Texas this weekend to hunt FooFoo Deer.

4 posters

Go down

Looks like I am going to Texas this weekend to hunt FooFoo Deer. Empty Re: Looks like I am going to Texas this weekend to hunt FooFoo Deer.

Post by Broz Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:35 am

Yeah , Jb it sounds like the 378 just might be the ticket. Thanks Ed for the input. After breaking both front shoulders on my Elk last year I tend to think that is what a 30-378 is for on about anything. I never have liked tracking game.

Jeff
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Looks like I am going to Texas this weekend to hunt FooFoo Deer. Empty Re: Looks like I am going to Texas this weekend to hunt FooFoo Deer.

Post by JB Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:59 am

After Ed's insightful comments, I'm thinking the .378 might be a better choice, Jeff!!!! Shocked Shocked
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Sounds like a hell of deal. Post lots of pictures. Unless the are fenced up in a backyard, don't sell them short as far as sporting goes. Black buck will put up with you to about 750yds then they are on the run. Aoudad can pack plenty of lead away and are just about as wary. No behind the shoulder whitetail shot on them. High and in line with the front leg. There heart is further forward than a deer. High shoulder will break that joint and with some wby luck the spine as well. Axis can get to 300lbs but are normally stump dumb, but the best tasting wild red meat there is bar none.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Jb, the rifle of choice for me is the 30-378. It is the only one I have ready to go on a quick note. Some shots could be a ways out so I will feel better knowing that rifle like I do. Well I am going to go load up an extra 20 rounds. I just might toss a few around at some 1000 yrd yotes. Just to see em run... Very Happy
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Sounds like a great trip, Jeff! Man, if I had a boat I'd sell it and join you! I guess if you were bringing Cory, you'd have to haul all of us along Very Happy
Those animals sound like a perfect match to the .257 Wby. With hogs thrown in, you may want to go with a good .300 instead. Keep us posted as to what you decide to pack along. It may be easier for you to drive that way you can bring as much gear as you think you'd need.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Lighten up there dog... rabbit I will send ya a steak... Diane is all excited ...new rugs!!

Oh and we are hunting hogs at night too..... Very Happy Very Happy 4 legged of course.. Shocked
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingCobraTX Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:18 pm

You lucky bastard!! Can't believe you didn't mooch a trip in there for you TX buddy... Razz

As for flying with a rifle...I've never had a problem...just pack it in a quality hard case and pack the ammo in your other luggage.
KingCobraTX
KingCobraTX
Admin

https://sportinglife.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Looks like I am going to Texas this weekend to hunt FooFoo Deer. Empty Looks like I am going to Texas this weekend to hunt FooFoo Deer.

Post by Broz Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:11 pm

I have been ofered a free trip to Texas to hunt Axis deer, Black Antelope, Aoudad Sheep, and some other exotics. Most are open ranging so this really interests me. Don't know much about this stuff, but I do have a good rifle.. Smile The guy that bought my boat is selling a ranch and says we should take a few trophy's first. So who am I to argue? I have never flew with a rifle before. Anyone have advice on what to watch for or how to protect it?

Jeff
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down