The Sporting Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today's Range Session

2 posters

Go down

Today's Range Session Empty Re: Today's Range Session

Post by JB Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:19 am

Great looking set-up!! I'm checking out the rifle rest at Cabelas you pointed out for me. I'm surprised you're not sighting that rifle in for a 300 yard zero! Shocked Anything less with a .300 Wby, not to mention an Accumark, just doesn't seem right Very Happy !
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey JB,

Here is a picture of the rest from tonight. After work we got to go shoot for a while. Took the nephew and his guns we are loding for. Since he moved here he has bought a Howa 22-250 and a 10/22. He owns my old custom .30'06 as well. We shot some ammo (the first he ever loaded) w/ 50gr and Varget and some 130grtsx w/ Varget in the '06. He really liked the practice 150RN w/ 12gr unique.

As if asking to much, the .300 Accu-Oil-DeLuxe is zeroed 2" high w/ 180tsx load. Now the icing on the cake is that the 220gr solid and the 150gr light load is hitting point of aim.

Today's Range Session Adg_ri10
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:31 am

I am hoping to take the Accu-Oil-Deluxe to the range today to test a light 150gr practice load and a 220gr solid load. I will take pictures of the set up for you consumption.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:47 am

I've thought about getting something like that and I guess it makes a lot of sense because it certainly would effectively raise the bench top about 4-5 inches for me. I'll check some of them out at Cabelas next weekend. I sdon't need all of the fancy pistons and recoil reducing devices...just a very solid metal rest that I can weigh down like yours.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:06 pm

I have had this problem at some ranges as well. I am 6' 2" tall and most are built for someone much shorter. I went with one of the cheapy adjustable rests from Sportsmans Warehouse to compesate. Excuse the self agrandizing but this was the easiest avaliable photo of it. It is in the background supporting the daughters octagon barrelled Ruger 260. A few sand bags on it and it is a lead sled as well. Sells for around 50.00$

Today's Range Session Kimber14
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:52 am

Yeah, I hear what you're saying Ed. Part of the problem yesterday is that the benches are about 4" too low for me. In fact, I'd rather sit upright when I sight in and I can't understand more people not wanting the same thing. Place pads under the elbows and you will not have a more stable posture. Back to the problem....... With the low bench, a Monte Carlo stock still comes up to meet the cheek; not so with the Classicmark. I had to lengthen the stock with a slip on pad and a rolled towel between my shoulder and the stock because I really had to get down on it. I suspect that if I used my normal shooting posture, the gun would've felt fine. I really don't want to shoot the .375 and the .416 off of that bench.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:54 pm

JB wrote:The Classicmark started off in deep trouble. I thought I bore sighted very carefully but it took 5 shots just to get it on the paper and then another 15 to get it exactly right. Exactly right for my rifles usually means +3" at 100 yards and a 300 yard zero.....give or take a few yards. Anyway, I had serious doubts about the Classicmark but she finished up strong. The Classicmark has a feel to it over the bench that is totally different than any other Mark V.

Sounds like a Leupold to me............. affraid

We have discussed stock arcitechure before, and I have found that the Deluxe style stock is a near natural on the bench and from deliberate position shooting. The are by no means slow for instinctive or "snap" shooting but they are woefully behind a nice relaxed pistol gripped classic style stock, same said the Classic can be a handful on the bench with any amount of recoil.

That Classicmark II would be a beautiful mate to my Caprivi......................
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Today's Range Session Empty Today's Range Session

Post by JB Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:15 pm

I took the .257 and the 3 .300s to the range today and converted them all over to Accubonds. 110 grainers for the .257 and 180 grainers for the .300s. The .257 was already sighted in for the Accubonds so no problems there...she shot perfectly. The .300 Deluxe grew up on the 180 grain Barnes X and was her only diet since I bought her new. From this day onward, she's on a new diet plan! The Euromark hit the bullseye on the first shot after boresighting only!!!!! 12 clicks up, a few minor adjustments, and 4 more shots, she went back into her case and left me smiling! The Classicmark started off in deep trouble. I thought I bore sighted very carefully but it took 5 shots just to get it on the paper and then another 15 to get it exactly right. Exactly right for my rifles usually means +3" at 100 yards and a 300 yard zero.....give or take a few yards. Anyway, I had serious doubts about the Classicmark but she finished up strong. The Classicmark has a feel to it over the bench that is totally different than any other Mark V. The Euromark felt perfect. Saturday the .338, .340, and the .375 go to the range with me. The .416 will have to wait until I put a scope on her.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down