The Sporting Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA

3 posters

Go down

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Empty Re: The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA

Post by JB Mon May 12, 2008 8:35 pm

A perfect match for that rifle, Ed.....good choice! I had forgotten that Zeiss made the Conquest in a 4x offering. It's funny that back in the day, the "Western" scope was a 6x!!!! In reality, a 4x or a 6x is all you will ever need for big game anywhere.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Empty Scope

Post by BigHorn WBY Mon May 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Well after some thoughts and soul searching and of course weighing my options on what this gun will be used for I concluded that I wanted a trim compact scope for this project. In that I found a deal on a 4x Zeiss Conquest. Indeed trim and compact. Wonderful veiw and very good optics. It will be a join on the Tundra and in the black timber. I am delighted.

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA 4x_zei10
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Empty Re: The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA

Post by JB Thu May 08, 2008 7:31 am

If that's the rifle you want, then you shall have it. For now, I'd find one of those sights and install it on your rifle. Give Westley Richards a call and buy a rear sight directly from them.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Empty something like this ????

Post by BigHorn WBY Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 pm

This is a 375 picture that I covent. Very cool set up. This one is a standing 100yd, folding for 200 and 300. The tangent goes from 400 to 1200yds. Very optomistic but damn cool.
Westleys are my favorites.................

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Westle10
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Tue May 06, 2008 2:03 am

Nice choice for a classic rear sight! Another option may be multi-yardage flip-up sight like those found on the classic Westley Richards that you're so fond of. For me, I like the one pictured, but you've always gravitated toward the older British set-ups.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Empty possible rear sight

Post by BigHorn WBY Mon May 05, 2008 9:45 pm

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Wisner10

I have comtemplated a rear sight for this. The obvious choice is a proper express sight. That said I wanted some thing a bit more adjustable and user friendly. I envision this to be loaded with anything from a squib round ball to a 220 FMJ, with a mirad of cast, varmint, TSX, match bullets. It is a lovely gun that is indeed the "Favorite".

I read on another forum about a chap looking for the same sight as is factory equiped on the Weatherby DGR. It is a copy of the famous Winchester M-70 African rear sight that debuted on there 458win. mag. It is a very classic sight and very easy to adjust as needed. This combined with the excellent NECG Masterpiece front sight I will have many options for the future.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingCobraTX Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:42 pm

Looking good Ed Very Happy That is gonna be one cool and unique rifle once she's completed cheers
KingCobraTX
KingCobraTX
Admin

https://sportinglife.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am

Engraving will be modest, just writing to describe rifle.
Caliber description will be ".30 cal U.S. Gov't of 1906"
then the right side of barrel will have " For Light Game"
then on the top of barrel will be "BPA".

Last edited by BigHorn WBY on Mon May 05, 2008 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:25 am

Great job so far! I like the components that you've chosen to adorn such a storied rifle. What do you have in mind for the engraving? Another classic chambering to consider is the old .300 Holland & Holland Express.

Looking great Ed....I can't wait to see the finished product Very Happy
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Empty Just a update

Post by BigHorn WBY Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:44 pm

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Ula_re11

Here is a update on the stae of affairs with the ULA. It has received its new Shilen Stainless Match barrel. It is a 1-10" twist .308" caliber chambered for the venerable .30 Gov't of 1906 It is 25" long for that air of sophistication. I added a Talley sling swivel base and NECG Masterpiece front sight. Also modified and letted in a Winchester super grade rear sling swivel base, just cause I think there cool. It will be shot some then off to the engraver and then finished in Cera-Kote.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:51 pm

barrel is in the lathe, assuming its finished svelte dimensions
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:09 am

Great story Ed and a gun to cherish. We lose the "story" behind all of the guns we typically buy in either new or used fashion but when you can retain the story with a great gun, it imparts a certain mysticism and magical quality that makes it somehow shoot better than it should. I'm glad that the soul of the gun was maintained and honored.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingCobraTX Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:55 pm

That is an awesome story Ed and a great looking rifle!! Thanks for sharing it cheers
KingCobraTX
KingCobraTX
Admin

https://sportinglife.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Empty The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA

Post by BigHorn WBY Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:49 pm

The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Necg_m10The Giraffe Gun.....a story of a ULA Ula10Here Here is a photo of my Ultra Light Arms .30 gov't '06. It came from a dear friend in a swap. She bought it new in 1990. It has been all over the west and to South Africa where it harvested a 28yr old Giraffe. Since that time it has been labelled Ms. Sue's Giraffe gun. As she was relocating to NW Montana she came to the realisation that even with a brake it just plain kicked too much. Through some negotiating I swapped her a set up Kimber Montana in .260 for this now cherished rifle. She had had a brake installed and the LOP shortened to just under 13". To keep the bond to our 2 souls, I removed the pad from the ULA, cut off the stock on the Montana, Fitted the Pad from the ULA to the Montana and then a in a fine final act, bonded the amputaed portion of Kimber stock to the ULA bringing its finished LOP to 13 3/4" They booth fit the both of us impeccably. I removed the brake and threads from the ULA resulting in a bit short 21" barrel. I thought that would be fine but have decide that is not to be. I have a .30cal stainless Shilen blank that I will fit, finish and chambered in .30 gov't '06 at 25". Along the way it will get a Talley barrel band front sling swivel base and a NECG Masterpiece Front sight. To me a fine all-around sporting rifle "needs" a front sight. All the metal will be Cera-kote'd. I had to include a picture of the front sight as well. Just plain Awesome.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum