The Sporting Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wyoming, Here We Come!!!

3 posters

Go down

Wyoming, Here We Come!!! Empty Re: Wyoming, Here We Come!!!

Post by JB Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:04 am

After the first day, we'll call it mud fest, day 2 ended succesfully. Ed and I spotted 2 bucks at a very long distance on a West to East course. We started on an intercepting path but, when we stopped to take another look, they both had us pegged from well over 600 yards. We put a rocky point between them and us and hurried toward it and to the top to see if I could position myself for a shot. I crested the top and still found both of them looking our way. Ed said both were equal in horn length but the one on the left was bigger in body and that they were no more than 300 yards away. The two were facing directly at us on a ridgeline. I wasn't sure if I was comfortable with a 300 yard shot at a forward facing, small profiled, antelope. Ed strongly encouraged to take the shot before they stepped back over the ridge and out of sight. I layed prone, placed the crosshair right on the inside left shoulder of the buck on the left, and squeezed the shot. We heard the bullet smack hard and saw the buck rear up like a horse. When we got there, we found him gravely hurt but still standing. They are one tough animal! He moved off about a 100 yards away, quartering away and slightly uphill. I dumped him with a shot to the spine.
Chalk one up for my .257 Lasermark and 110 grain Nosler Accubonds. After busting through the left shoulder, the bullet was found in the pelvis.

Wyoming, Here We Come!!! Wyomin13
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:21 am

It is happening as we speak. A looming weather front has been added to help with anxiety of this all coming together.
KCTx is not going to be in attendance due to work and a slight change in marital status. A mutual "friend" will be taking his place for good times, good food, many laughs and good guns.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:06 am

You will need a very vivid imagination. I don't where I could find a tree in the hunting area. Very Happy
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:39 am

First time for antelope for me, too!! I've never shot anything that small in such wide open terrain....I'll just have to imagine trees all around Very Happy
I plan to head to the range this morning with my .257 and a couple others.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:40 pm

In the area we are hunting there is a pile of PD's. A 22-250 will be nice. A hundred or 2 rounds will make a nice afternoon.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KingCobraTX Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:34 pm

I'm really looking forward to this hunt as well....Especially since I've never hunted speed-goats before......I plan on bringing the .257 ULW for them and possibly the 22-250 or ??
KingCobraTX
KingCobraTX
Admin

https://sportinglife.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:00 am

Sounds cool. Is a certain A303 following along ??? And a 03 ???

KCTx will be here on the 16th or 17th. He is flying and thinking of bringing a 22-250 as well.
Broz is driving as well. He will be here in a few weeks as well.

It is shaping up to be a 257 safari.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:07 am

Ed, I'm planning on being there on the 13th or 14th if that works for you. Like I mentioned before, I may end up driving depending on what gear I'm bringing along. I will probably make a stop in Kansas on my out for some Pheasant and Quail hunting.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:12 am

Yes, I'm still a "go" with what we discussed regarding the bird hunting. I'm seriously considering driving out instead of flying....I like the nomadic adventure. Maybe I'll stop at my uncles ranch and shoot a few birds on my way in.

As far as a theme......definitely Weatherby's but beyond that I'm not sure but I do know it'll be a fun topic to toss around!

To give us a starting point, remind us again on your initial thoughts regarding the dates for each of us, Ed.......
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:40 pm

KCTx as well. It will be a great time. Mama has request that you contact us/her with your arrival and departure dates so we can have accomidations in line for you 3. Hey JB are we still planning on you being the first in and doing some bird hunting ????

Any thoughts on a thyme ????? It will be all Weatherby's, but ???????????????
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Wyoming, Here We Come!!! Empty Wyoming, Here We Come!!!

Post by JB Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:39 am

It looks like Jeff and I were both successful in our draw for 2008!!!! We just need to hear from Cory. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I didn't get a chance to head West last year so it makes this trip that much sweeter!!!! Now we can start planning the details Very Happy
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum