Another Range Session

Go down

Re: Another Range Session

Post by BigHorn WBY on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:29 am

Both of those would make a fine load no doubt. The TSX is truly devastating in the .375. Big gashtly exit wounds, well holes actually as a wound is survivable, these are not. All I have shot in the Caprivi so far is the cheapy Federal Classic 270 RN. They where indeed accurate. I think they would be a fine "fun" load for the non-reloader. I am looking at loading the TSX myself. I have some 380gr Woodleighs in soft and solid that I have not loaded yet.

F.E, Thomas 4wt
Kimber Caprivi
A303....Isabella
............and these three above all others shall accompany near and far.....................
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JB on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:50 am

I have a couple boxes of test ammo to run through the Mauser and I hope one of them makes the Mauser a 1" shooter. I have a box of Federal Cape Shok 300 grain Partitions and the same brand in 300 grain TSX. I have several boxes of 300 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Hornady 270 grain high energy but it's the first two that I hope to use as the "go to" round.

12 Bore Merkel 247 SL
.257 Wby Mark V Oil Lasermark
.270 Wby Mark V Euromark
.300 Wby Mark V Oil Deluxe
.300 Wby Mark V Euromark
.338 WM Rem. 700 XCR Custom
.340 Wby Mark V Oil Deluxe
.375 H&H Mauser M03
.416 Wby Mark V Deluxe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Great to here they are up and running. I guess the 340's next task is to whack a piggie. A shitty weather hunt is in order ( Musk-Ox ) for the .338 to prove its merit.

Cool stuff, what is the load of choice in the .375 &H.

I am on a Elephant hunt right now, taking a break to write this. No, no not a REAL Elephant hunt, I am putting "our" kitchen back together which cost more than a Elephant hunt.

F.E, Thomas 4wt
Kimber Caprivi
A303....Isabella
............and these three above all others shall accompany near and far.....................
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Another Range Session

Post by JB on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Thursday, I hit my head on a beam that crosses just in front of the line of benches at the range....ouch!!!! I didn't realize the damning effects of that blow until today. I took the .338 and the .340 to the range to get them sighted in. Since I switched everything over to Warne, I have to get all the rifles fine tuned again. Both of the ".338s" shoot under an inch at 100 yards with 250 grain partitions. The .338 does it with Federal High Energy and the .340 does it with factory ammo. I've said it before, I am right at my un-braked recoil limit with the .340. It's been almost a year since I took it to the range but it took one shot for the memories to come back. The headache from banging my head a couple days ago didn't help at all. I fired 15 shots with the .338 and was very impressed with the overlapping holes. I only fired 8 shots with the .340 but I shot equally as well. The .340 is not a gun I grab when I want to have fun at the range but the gun is very impressive in all respects. Both rifles are now zeroed for 300 yards.

The next session will be with the Mauser M03 .375 H&H.

12 Bore Merkel 247 SL
.257 Wby Mark V Oil Lasermark
.270 Wby Mark V Euromark
.300 Wby Mark V Oil Deluxe
.300 Wby Mark V Euromark
.338 WM Rem. 700 XCR Custom
.340 Wby Mark V Oil Deluxe
.375 H&H Mauser M03
.416 Wby Mark V Deluxe

View user profile

Back to top Go down