The Sporting Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations for a 20ga auto

3 posters

Go down

Recommendations for a 20ga auto Empty Re: Recommendations for a 20ga auto

Post by JB Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:21 am

Beautiful gun and a great choice of housing for her!! You will appreciate Italian women! Unlike the Hispanic women, they don't come here illegally and rape our country of it's resources!! This one will be a reliable and loyal provider for you....as mine has over the past 21 years Smile
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for a 20ga auto Empty Isabella

Post by BigHorn WBY Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 pm

Isabella was in audience on the weekly Sunday Blast. I took the kids down south to Middle Fork, Broz knows the area, and the grass was so high we couldn't see the PD's. I had hoped the grass would be high, thou not this high, so I could walk around and flush some PD's and "wing" shoot them. Anyway we went back up to the gravel pit and worked over the junk pile. Isabella digested a box of ww 3 1/4-1-7 1/2 "Upland Loads" with nary a bobble.

Along the way I have lost most train of common sense and purchased a "House" for Isabella. I have said Italian women aren't really my think but apparently she will be staying with me.

Recommendations for a 20ga auto Berett11Recommendations for a 20ga auto Berett10
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Thank you very much for your research. Isabella it is then. i like it and we shall see if she performs up to the standards of a Queen.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for a 20ga auto Empty Isabella

Post by JB Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:56 am

From the Baby Name book! Check out the online edition....

Origin: Italian
Meaning: The Italian name Isabella means - A form of the name Isabel, meaning "pledged to God." Among the notable people with this name are actress Isabella Rossellini and Queen Isabella of Castile, who financed Columbus's voyage to America.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:14 pm

I believe Isabella would work. I had not thought of that as a true Italian name, actually I couldn't think of a true Italian female name. I have never had a "thing" for Italian girls. Or french for that matter. Thou naming Bri'ghette came fairly easy. I love German and Latina girls so my future Sauer and AyA purchases will be named easily.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:36 am

BigHorn WBY wrote:
She/He will neeed a nickname as well ???? Any suggestions ?????

Isabella - she IS Italian Smile
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:11 pm

It is indeed a pretty special piece. I haven't shoot it yet and already I bought a hard case for it. I guess it is staying......LOL

Yes it will get the wood stripped and the LOP increased. I would think a London Guns red pad will look good with the oil finish.

If spring weather ever comes I will get some better pictures of it "on the stump".

She/He will need a nickname as well ???? Any suggestions ?????

Last edited by BigHorn WBY on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:23 pm

I never thought I'd see a 303 with better wood than mine but yours is exactly that....the first one since 1987! I'm sure it'll look stunning with an oil finish. The metal looks as new, too. Great find!!!!!
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:50 pm

The A303 arrived. Very nice wood but the pictures don't show it so well. It handles very well and it will get a quick shake down on the pattern board.

Recommendations for a 20ga auto A303_012Recommendations for a 20ga auto A303_011
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:13 pm

Well this saga is drawing to a close. I have bought a Beretta A303 "Special Skeet". Very nice gun with great wood ( well duh' ) and a 26" barrel. The kicker is is that in the end I went with a 12ga. In all honesty I am a 12ga man at heart and after some long visits with JB, we decided that a 12 would fill the role I have envisioned for this gun. Pictures will be forthcoming when it arrives.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Mon May 26, 2008 12:17 pm

Link sent. Different gun, but it is rather plain wood. Straight grip thou.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Mon May 26, 2008 6:30 am

Is it the same one you sent to me in the link the other day? I liked that gun and I wouldn't find one in better shape but the wood was very plain. I should reach out for more info.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sun May 25, 2008 8:01 pm

?????? How much would you love to have one. I just found one cheap and I have no money for it. ?????????

Last edited by BigHorn WBY on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sat May 24, 2008 4:17 pm

I have a 303 in 12 gauge with awesome sunburst grained wood that I bought new at the Grand American Trapshoot in 1987. I would love to have one in 20 gauge. I think the 303 is the nicest looking Beretta autoloader they've ever made.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Sat May 24, 2008 2:49 pm

I just got a call from my buddy. It was indeed a 303, I would rate the gun at 97 to 98%. So I guess we did good. Anyway they seem to be nice guns.

Jeff
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Thu May 22, 2008 9:02 am

Probaly was not then Bighorn. My books are weak in descriptions of the gun. Nothing said about the selector switch under the forearm to enable it to single shot. I will talk to my friend and get a modle number.

Jeff
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Tue May 20, 2008 10:23 pm

If it is a 301, 302 or even a 303 for 450 you will be doing all my buying from here on, super deal even if a little rough. The last 301 I got/sold went for 1499.00. A 303 is bring 6-7 easily. Good show, old boy.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 am

No JB, but I will find out. I looked in the book and can't decide if it was a 301, 302 or what. I will get back to ya on this.

Jeff
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Tue May 20, 2008 6:55 am

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Do you remember what model it was? I'm really considering a 20 gauge soon. I have a case of 1 oz. #6's I need to run through!
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Broz Mon May 19, 2008 9:30 pm

I picked up a Beretta 20 a few weeks ago for a friends daughter. It had an aluminum receiver, vent rib, center bead and choke tubes. I purchased the gun used for $450. I was hoping they would decide it would not work for them so I could keep it. The fit and finish on the gun was very good and the wood was nice too. It also had a selector switch for shooting trap make it a single action. The gun just fit me very well. Everytime I shouldered it things were just in line and stayed there as I followed through with the swing. I guess it was nothing fancy, but I sure will own one if I find another as nice for the price. Wink

Jeff
Broz
Broz
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Mon May 19, 2008 8:23 am

I went to Cabelas yesterday intent on fullfilling a romantic notion of getting a pump action to carry into the uplands to try and get more in touch with the basics of hunting and thumb my nose at double gun snobbery. It failed. I looked at Remington 870's in 20 and 28 gauges. I looked at Browning BPS's in 16 and 28 gauges. I looked at a new in the box model 12 in 20 gauge. I didn't find one pump gun that fit me. I can work around the length of pull issue but the drop at comb and heel are something else. Every gun I mounted placed my line of sight squarely into the back of the receiver....no good. The best fitting repeater and one I could shoot with little alteration is the Benelli Montefeltro in 20 gauge. I looked at the Legacy and Silver models but they seemed a little too flashy for me, although the wood was nice. I would probably go with the $900.00 field grade. I found one in 26" and one in 24" barrels. Both felt nice and both fit well. They are extremely responsive guns. The wood was decent, too.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigHorn WBY Sun May 04, 2008 5:37 pm

I am wanting to stay with a 20 for gun weight and recoil sake. I have also handled a SKB Sporting clays O/U.....??????

I like the Raptor because of under 7lbs weight and it is ported. The Montefeltro is indeed the classic choice. The Tekny's is the new standard. Money first then I will "worry" about which to buy.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sun May 04, 2008 8:40 am

For high volume pass shooting at Doves I would only consider a 12 gauge with high 1 1/8 oz. antimony 7 1/2's. To me, a twenty would be perfect for pass shooting over a watering hole, incomers heading to roost, or jumping them out of corn and sunflower fields. As for choices, the 28 gauge should definitely be a Franchi 48AL if you want an autoloader. Also, check out the long discontinued Remington 11-48 for something different. I'm not sure what would please you in a 20 gauge autoloader that is also not mainstream. Cosmi? .... high priced. Browning A-5..... will definitely hold up. How about the Franchi 48AL in a twenty to serve both purposes? If you find a good used Beretta 301, 302, or 303, in a twenty, buy it. Make sure it has at least 28 inch barrels. Check out the Sporting Clays model Berettas with 28 or 30" barrels....that would be ultimate for high volume shooting.
JB
JB
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for a 20ga auto Empty Recommendations for a 20ga auto

Post by BigHorn WBY Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 pm

I have been looking at adding a 28 and a 20 gauge semi-autos to my battery. The 28 will be a franchi 48AL Deluxe. That is a given, no comprimise there, as soon as I find the right one with awesome wood, it will be a done deal.

Now the 20ga. I am not so sure on what I want. I have been told the Montefeltroi is the end all, but that is a bit main strem for me and besides I have only seen one with really good wood. I have envisioned the 20 as being a all around gun as well as a no holds barred high volume dove gun. I had a Cordoba' but it never "did it" for me. I am looking at the current variations of the Beretta/Benelli system i.e. Franchi Raptor, Montefeltro, Teknys, 303, etc.......I can live with the wallpapered stocks in a beater gun, if the price point is correct.
BigHorn WBY
BigHorn WBY
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum